MADISON (WKOW) — A potential disaster was averted at a Madison gas station thanks to the quick thinking of one of its employees.
It happened Sunday at the Kwik Trip on Fish Hatchery Road.
“I was working at the register helping a guest,” said assistant store leader Randy Tilk. “And a gentleman comes in the door and goes, ‘Dude, I need a fire extinguisher.’ And I was like, ‘Are you serious?’ He goes, ‘Yeah, my car is on fire.’”
Tilk grabbed the fire extinguisher sitting next to the door and ran outside he spotted the car on fire parked next to a gas pump.
“There was a bunch of smoke and you could see flames around the edges of the hood but they weren’t really tall.”
He was able to put out the fire fairly quickly. His fast action helped avert a potential disaster- keeping the fire from spreading to nearby gas pumps.
Tilk wasn’t the only person at the store thinking on his feet. Another employee who happened to be in the store was quick to shut off the emergency pump.
“The first concern was to make sure the fuel pump was going to be OK. Because gas runs below the whole building. We didn’t want to have an explosion or any bigger fire happen at the store,” Tilk said.
Tilk is just happy no one was hurt.
“I was mostly concerned about the safety of everyone that was here.”
Madison Fire said an electric problem with the car caused the fire.