MADISON (WKOW) – A Spring Green man was sentenced to 12 years in federal prison Thursday, after a Florida man died from overdosing on a fentanyl analogue that he distributed, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
The Department of Justice says 31-year-old Michael Schoenmann had been running a vendor site on the dark web through March 2018, selling fentanyl in the form of nasal spray throughout the United States.
Wyatt Cox, a 25-year-old Florida resident, received a package in the mail containing the fentanyl spray, that authorities traced back to Schoenmann. Cox died shortly after ingesting the substance, according to a U.S. Attorney’s Office report.
U.S. Attorney Blader stated, “Fentanyl, analogues and opioids are inherently dangerous. Ingesting any illegal substances obtained from the internet or through the mail is extraordinarily dangerous. Users have no idea what is in the substance and illegal drug makers don’t care – the risk cannot be overstated.”