Skip to Content

Fire department: Frozen pipes lead to fire in Madison basement

MADISON (WKOW) — A Madison man accidentally started a fire in his basement while trying to thaw his frozen pipes Wednesday.

The fire broke out at a house on the 4100 block of Mineral Point Road. The homeowner spent 15 minutes trying to thaw a pipe with a heat gun, according to a statement from the Madison Fire Department.

The man went upstairs to see if his water was again flowing, and when he returned, “he noticed smoke and called 911,” the fire department said.

Firefighters put the basement fire out with a water can extinguisher, according to the report.

Other units arrived and helped contain the spread of the fire, according to the statement.

No one was hurt or displaced by the fire, the department said.

Author Profile Photo

WKOW

Skip to content