Skip to Content

Mazomanie comes together to help family who lost home in fire

MAZOMANIE (WKOW) – The Mickelson family had just gone to bed last weekend, when the unthinkable happened. A fire, believed to have started in the kitchen, overtook the entire house.

It took firefighters about seven hours to put out the flames.

My daughter was upstairs there,” said Scott Mickelson. “To tell you the truth, I don’t remember her coming down. I just remember being with her on the sidewalk.”

Scott, his daughter Ashley, his girlfriend Jodi and their dog Tegan all rushed out of the house, everyone thankfully okay.

By the time we got to the garage about 30 feet away, the windows blew out and the whole house pretty much erupted in flames,” he said.

The house and nearly everything in it are complete losses. But Mickelson says those are things, and things are replaceable. People are not.

We all got out,” he said. “Someone was watching over us I really believe.”

Mickelson says one firefighter lost a finger in the blaze, but he’s doing alright.

It was the smoke detectors that alerted Mickelson’s family of the fire and got them to safety.

I can’t tell people how important smoke detectors are,” he said. “I implore people to check them today as soon as they see this and get as many as you can in your house.”

Since the fire, the Mazomanie community has responded with a GoFundMe page that has raised nearly $10,000 of a $5,000 goal.

I put $5,000 on there just as a starting point,” said page organizer Tasha Severson, “I knew it would go above and beyond that. And it still will probably.”

Mickelson says he has a place to stay for now, but he’s looking to rebuild.

Thank you to everyone,” he said. “I know with my village, I’ll be able to get it done I hope, and get my daughter into a house.”

Andrew Merica

Reporter/Producer, 27 News

Skip to content