(WKOW) — Making a healthy lunch for your kids to bring to school can seem like a daunting task, but dietitians say it doesn’t have to be.
Lisa Grundzeilanek, a Registered Dietitian at Metcalfe’s Market in Hilldale, showed our Wake Up Wisconsin team how to build a healthier lunchbox in five minutes.
Healthy Lunch Criteria: Easy as 1,2,3
- Select Wholesome Foods
- Check out the ingredient list. Do you normally have those ingredients in your pantry?
- Contains 100% whole grains.
- Contains no artificial sweeteners or artificial food color.
- Limit products with added sugar as one of the first three ingredients.
- Aim to include food from several food groups
- Protein, whole grains, fruit and veggies.
- Pack lunch the night before for a smoother morning routine
- Allow children to participate in age-appropriate prep and offer choices between items in a food group.