Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. DORIAN HEADS FOR BAHAMAS, FLORIDA
The Category 1 hurricane does limited damage in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, though forecasters warn the storm is gaining strength as it moves over open water.
2. DEMOCRATIC DEBATE FIELD NARROWS
Ten Democrats — including front-runner Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders — have qualified for September’s televised debate.
3. ATTACKS BY US EXTREMISTS LEAD TO PUSH FOR ANTI-TERROR LAWS
Amid a growing number of attacks by domestic extremists, congressional efforts to have them labeled as terrorists or to criminalize domestic terrorism are gaining momentum.
4. BRAZILIAN INDIGENOUS SPEAK OUT AS AMAZON FIRES RAGE
An estimated 3,553 fires are now burning on 148 indigenous territories, and some tribes are particularly exposed as fires rage in the region.
5. INDIA SEEKS TO PORTRAY SENSE OF CALM IN LOCKED-DOWN KASHMIR
New Delhi circulates images of normalcy during a communications blackout in the disputed region, but independent news reports suggest otherwise.
6. CHINA ROTATES NEW TROOPS INTO HONG KONG
China’s military deploys fresh troops to the semi-autonomous Chinese city in what it calls a routine rotation amid speculation that it might intervene in pro-democracy protests.
7. KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND DROPS OUT OF PRESIDENTIAL RACE
The Democratic senator from New York abruptly ends a once-promising campaign that collapsed amid low polling and major fundraising struggles.
8. WHAT HAS SEEN A ‘DRAMATIC RESURGENCE’
The World Health Organization sees a rise of measles in Europe this year, in part fueled by vaccine refusals.
9. DEATHS CAUSED BY DRIVERS RUNNING RED LIGHTS AT 10-YEAR HIGH
A researcher for the AAA Foundation suspects distracted driving is playing a role, along with traffic lights that weren’t timed optimally.
10. WHO APOLOGIZED FOR MISTAKEN REPORT
MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell retracted his story about supposed Russian ties to Trump’s finances — just as the president’s lawyer demanded.