UPDATE (WKOW) — The National Weather Service said a potential tornado could have caused the damage in Belleville Tuesday night.
The NWS reported trees down throughout the village. One downed tree led to a gas leak.
Crews will be evaluating the damage on Wednesday.
UPDATE (WKOW) — Evacuees are now being allowed back into their homes following a large gas leak.
UPDATE (WKOW) — Emergency command center staff now says the gas line in question has been shut off after large leak was reported earlier in the night.
Evacuees are still being asked to report to the local high school for shelter, if they need it.
BELLEVILLE (WKOW) — Emergency responders from across Dane County are responding to a large gas leak at a home in Belleville near River and 3rd Streets.
The leak was detected as police officers, firefighters, and other emergency personnel were at the home because a large tree in its front year fell over earlier in the night.
— Sara Maslar-Donar (@SaraMDNews) October 2, 2019
A command center has been established while emergency crews try to repair the gas leak.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.