With so much time spent at home, you may find yourself looking in your pantry to see what ingredients you already have that could be used in a meal to avoid going to the store. Allison Pfaff Harris, registered dietitian & owner of Fueled Endurance, joined us to share how you can utilize the things you likely have on hand to make a meal for yourself and your family.
Check out Allison's Black Bean Soup recipe below:
Quick and Easy Black Bean Soup - serves 3-4
2 medium onions, diced
2 cloves garlic
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups broth, veggie or chicken
1 chipotle chili in adobo, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoon paprika
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 15-oz cans black beans, undrained
½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in medium stock pot over medium heat until onions are translucent
2. Add seasoning and stir for 1 minute, until onion mixture is covered and spices are fragrant
3. Add broth and tomatoes; allow to simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes
4. Add black beans and salt; allow to simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until desired thickness is reached (or use an immersion blender to blend to desired texture).
5. Off heat, squeeze in juice of one lime. Salt to taste. Enjoy.