Running out of healthy meal ideas? If so, you're in luck! Allison Pfaff Harris, registered dietitian and owner of Fueled Endurance, joined us on Facebook Live with a simple healthy recipe and a few meal planning tips.
Pasta with Beans and Tomatoes
- ¾ pound pasta, any shape
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 15-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (or 2 cans if you prefer extra saucy)
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 15-oz can butter beans or cannellini, drained and rinsed
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. In a large sauce pan, saute onions over medium heat in olive oil until onions are translucent.
3. Add diced tomatoes, sugar, basil and salt; increase heat to medium-high. Cook for 15-20 minutes, occasionally mashing tomatoes with back of spoon, reducing mixture to desired thickness.
4. Stir in beans; heat until warmed through.
5. Add pasta to tomato and bean mixture; top with Parmesan if desired.