MADISON (WKOW) -- WKOW-TV today was honored as Station of the Year in the Awards of Excellence competition sponsored by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association.
The award, in the medium market division, was announced Thursday during an awards ceremony held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The award recognizes the station's work in news, marketing and social and digital media.
On Wednesday, 27 News was honored as the Social Media and Digital operation of the year.
On Tuesday, 27 News at 11 was honored as the Best Morning Newscast in the medium market television category.
The award recognized the station's July 19, 2019 newscast coverage of the downtown Madison electric substation explosion and fire.
WKOW had 20 finalists in this years awards competition.
- 1st: Best Morning Newscast: 27 News At 11 Am – 7/19/19
- 1st: Best Sportscast: WKOW Sports
- 2nd: Best Evening Newscast: 27 News At 10 Pm – 7/10/19
- 3rd: Best Significant Community Impact: Farm Aid Telethon
- 3rd: Best Spot News: Substation Fire
- 3rd: Best Hard News/Investigative: Red Flags Missed Before Killing
- 3rd: Best Feature: Dominic’s Ripple
- 3rd: Best Live On-Scene Reporting: Caroline Bach
- 3rd: Best Sports Reporting: Lance Veeser
SOCIAL AND DIGITAL MEDIA
- 1st: Best Online Breaking News Coverage: Jayme Closs escapes
- 1st: Best Use Of Social Media: Mysterious Death In Iowa County
- 1st: Best Online Personality: Rebecca Ribley
- 2nd: Best Original Digital Content: Anniversary Of Firefighters Death
- 2nd: Best Online Breaking News Coverage: Substation Explosion
- 3rd: Best Online Personality: Meteorologist John Zeigler
- 1st: Best Weather Promotion: Storm Track Code Names
- 1st: Best Topical Promotion: Protecting Our Kids Online
- 1st: Best Public Service Announcement: Senior Brat Delivery Day
- 2nd: Best Image Promotion: 27 News Movie Trailer
- 3rd: Best Image Promotion: 80’S Throwback
A full list of winners is HERE.
You can re-watch the awards presentations here: WBA Facebook page HERE.