Skip to Content

Residents back in homes after gas leak caused evacuations Thursday

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
0513_madison_fire_department
Madison Fire Department

MADISON (WKOW) -- A gas leak on Madison's west side prompted home evacuations for a number of residents Thursday morning.

According to the Madison Fire Department, homes in the area of Copeland and Monroe Streets had to be evacuated when construction workers severed a two-inch natural gas line around 10:15 a.m.

Firefighters checked for natural gas inside the homes while Madison police closed off traffic on Monroe Street, according to a Madison Fire Department incident report.

All homes were clear except for low readings in the home next to the site of the leak. Crews left windows open so that fresh air could flow into the house.

MGE arrived on scene shortly after and contained the leak.

Residents were allowed to return home just before 11 a.m.

Sara Maslar-Donar

Reporter, WKOW 27 News

Skip to content