Skip to Content

Madison mayor tells president not to use military against protesters

rhodes-conway
Madison Mayor Satya-Rhodes Conway

MADISON (WKOW) -- In a statement sent out Saturday afternoon, Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway told President Donald Trump not to use military troops against protesters.

Earlier this week, the Mayor’s office contacted the White House and told them the president’s threat to deploy the military to quell protests was unwelcome and unacceptable.

"The effort to make meaningful, structural change to protect Black lives can, and must be, advanced in legal and righteous peaceful protest. We hear our community and we support this peaceful advocacy," Mayor Rhodes-Conway said in the statement. "Deploying the U.S. military to the streets of Madison or other cities would send the wrong signal and undermine needed efforts to address issues of police reform."

On Thursday, Rep. Mark Pocan and two other members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus announced that they were introducing legislation to "amend the Insurrection Act to require Congressional authorization before the deployment of active-duty troops to quell unrest."

Mayor Rhodes-Conway also stated that she would be support this legislation.

"I fully support the effort of Rep. Mark Pocan to introduce legislation that would require congressional authorization before federal troops could be deployed on domestic soil to suppress unrest."

Author Profile Photo

WKOW

Skip to content