(WKOW) -- Many families are opting to drive to summer vacation spots this year and taking a pet along is high up on the "must pack" list.
Before you hit the road the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau along with the ASPCA says there are some things you need to do to prepare.
- Make sure the pet responds well to car rides.
- Keep them safe and secure in a well-ventilated crate or carrier with plenty of food or water.
- Put together a pet travel kit, and prepare for the worst.
- If you’re renting a car, make sure that the company allows animals and ask if you’ll be charged extra.
- Wherever you’re staying, whether it be a hotel, vacation rental, or with friends or family, ensure that pets are welcome.
If you're unable to check all those boxes, it might be wise to leave the pet behind.