Skip to Content

Janesville PD review finds 5 issues to address after police shoot suspect

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

JANESVILLE (WKOW) -- An internal investigation by the Janesville Police Department found the use of force in a March 26 incident was consistent with department policy, however it also revealed several issues that need further review.

Police say Christian A. Cargill crashed a pickup truck and full-sized camper on southbound Interstate-39/90 near the U.S. Highway 14 exit, before holding a knife to his own throat.

Cargill then walked towards officers while holding a knife just before being shot by police.

Cargill survived.

Janesville Police Chief David Moore said the department finished its review May 11, and he released the findings Monday in a video message on YouTube.

The review shows the use of force by Janesville officers is consistent with policy and procedure, Moore said.

However Moore identified five areas that need further review:

  • Body camera activation: Not all officers turned on their body cameras at during the incident, and further training is needed.
  • The distance that officers used their Taser was ineffective.
  • At the time, only one 40mm launching system that launches a foam round to knock down a suspect was deployed in the field, and that unit as at the police department. Eight launchers are now deployed in the field.
  • Continue training to have one person communicate with a suspect, rather than multiple officers and agencies.
  • Keep training records complete and up to date.

Rock County District Attorney David J. O'Leary released a Justice Department review April 20 that said Janesville police acted lawfully when they shot and pepper-sprayed a man near the interstate at the end of March.

An investigation by the Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigation found that the man believed the officers were in the pocket of the mafia.

Several tasers and rounds of foam failed to bring the man under control before officer Lyle Hollingshead shot him twice. The man fell to the ground and allegedly began to "cut his own throat," according to the release.

Police used pepper spray to try to get the man to drop the knife. It took eight officers to get the man under control.

Author Profile Photo

Dan Plutchak

Social Media and Digital Content Manager, 27 News

Skip to content