SUN PRAIRIE (WKOW) -- Friday marks two years since an explosion in downtown Sun Prairie, and the community is planning a special remembrance ceremony.
The gas main explosion killed Firefighter Capt. Cory Barr, injured two others and leveled a large portion of downtown.
Two years later, the city of Sun Prairie plans to unveil a memorial statue and rename a street during a ceremony that begins at 5:30 p.m. Friday.
Events beginning at 5:30 p.m.:
- Opening prayer: Pastor Charlie Brandt
- Opening remarks: Chief Christopher Garrison, Sun Prairie Fire and Rescue
- Police department: Sgt. Ray Thomson, SNPD
- Street dedication: Mary Polenske, Sun Prairie City County president
- Comments: Abby Barr
- Statue dedication: Fire Department personnel