(WKOW) -- Pizza will always be a crowd-pleaser but sometimes you might be looking to satisfy that craving without all the calories.
Clinical nutritionist and owner of Bonafide Provisions, Sharon Brown, shared her recipe for pizza-stuffed zucchini boats on Wake Up Wisconsin Saturday morning.
Her recipe does call for bone broth marinara sauce. Here is a link to that recipe.
· 4-5 medium sized Zucchini
· 1 lb Italian sausage
· ½ yellow onion, diced
· 1 small red bell pepper, diced
· 2 cups spinach
· 1 – 1 ½ cups Bone Broth Marinara Sauce
· 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
· ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
· Fresh basil for toppings
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray baking dish with avocado oil or line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut each zucchini long ways, then use a small spoon or melon baller to move the insides, leaving a border around the edge to keep the stuffing in. Sprinkle Celtic sea salt on inside of zucchini and set aside.
3. Place pan over medium heat, and brown sausage. Once sausage is almost done add onion, bell pepper, and spinach, and cook for 5 -7 minutes, or until veggies are tender and spinach is wilted.
4. Take a paper towel and remove excess moisture from zucchinis, then spoon in sausage mixture. Pour bone broth marinara over the zucchini boats, then top with cheese.
5. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, then turn on the broiler to get the cheese extra bubbly and delicious.
6. Remove from oven and serve with fresh chopped basil