SUN PRAIRIE (WKOW) — Drone video shot by Ole Allen shows the raging blaze above the Barr House and Glass Nickel Pizza Tuesday evening.
(Watch video HERE or below.)
Allen’s aunt was among those who lived in apartments upstairs and got out with 10 minutes to spare, losing everything.
Firefighter Cory Barr, owner of the Barr House and a captain with the volunteer fire department was killed while responding to the scene.
Lt. Kevin Konopacki said Tuesday evening that crews were called at 6:21 p.m. to a report of a natural gas leak at the corner of Main and Bristol streets.
After police and firefighters arrived on the scene and began to evacuate people, a building exploded shortly after 7 p.m., injuring one officer and two firefighters, who have been transported to the hospital. There is no word on their condition at this time.
Three businesses and a home sustained severe damage, according to Konopacki.
A contractor hit a 4-inch natural gas main, according to WE Energies spokesperson Amy Jahns. The work was not being done for WE Energies, Jahns said.