SUN PRAIRIE (WKOW) — The owner of Barr House was killed in the explosion in Sun Prairie Tuesday. He was a volunteer firefighter, a father, and well-known in the community.
Abby Barr, the widow of fallen firefighter Cory Barr, is devastated, and can’t begin to process her loss. She says Tuesday was an ordinary day. Cory had just gotten home in time for dinner. He didn’t even sit down to eat before he was called in by the Barr House — the bar and restaurant he owned.
There was a gas leak and he went down to help the evacuation process. His wife says he was just outside the building when the explosion happened. She does not know what exactly killed him, but says Cory was rushed to UW Hospital where he died.
Now, she’s remembering him as a loving father to their twin girls and an all around good guy who didn’t have a flaw in him.
“He was the one who saw the best in people. The outpouring of messages coming in about how wonderful he was is not just people saying this. It was 100 percent true. He’d give the shirt off your back, he was just amazing,” Barr told 27 News.
His wife says there aren’t enough words in the dictionary to say how wonderful he was.
The medical examiner says Barr died as a result of injuries he got while carrying out his duties at the fire scene.