Farmers, ranchers can apply for federal flood recovery assistance

MADISON (WKOW) — U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) Wisconsin State Executive Director, Sandy Chalmers, reminds farmers and ranchers across the state of federal farm program benefits that may be available to help eligible producers recover from recent heavy rains and flooding.

“FSA offers disaster assistance and low-interest loan programs to assist producers with their recovery efforts,” said Chalmers. “Many of these programs require documentation of losses, so I encourage producers to keep records of their livestock, crop, feed and structural losses.”

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) compensates livestock owners and contract growers for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to an eligible adverse weather event, including losses due to floods, says Chalmers.

Verifiable documentation of livestock losses must be provided, including:

* Documentation of the number, kind, type, and weight range of livestock that have died, supplemented by, if possible, photographs or video records of ownership and losses;

* Rendering truck receipts by kind, type and weight – important to document prior to disposal;

* Beginning inventory supported by birth recordings or purchase receipts;

* Documentation from Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, Department of Natural Resources, or other sources to substantiate eligible death losses due to an eligible loss condition;

* Veterinarian certification that livestock deaths, due to disease, were directly related to the adverse weather and unpreventable through good husbandry and management.

The Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) provides emergency relief for losses due to feed or water shortages, disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, which are not adequately addressed by other disaster programs.

ELAP covers physically damaged or destroyed livestock feed that was purchased, mechanically harvested forage or feedstuffs intended for use as feed for the producer’s eligible livestock.

ELAP will also cover up to 150 lost grazing days in instances when a producer has been forced to remove livestock from a grazing pasture due to floodwaters, says Chalmers.

Producers should contact their local FSA office at to schedule an appointment to submit notices of loss or to discuss disaster assistance programs.

To find a USDA Service Center or to learn more about available disaster programs, visit



Top Stories

Scroll to top
Skip to content