MADISON (WKOW) — An event happening this weekend is helping make sure Dane County veterans are warm during the harsh winter months.
The “Heat’s On” program involves service technicians going into the homes of veterans and fixing their gas furnace free of charge. Its purpose is to reduce the occurrence of residents going without heat or facing other life-threatening emergencies associated with home heating systems.
On Thursday, Jim Christensen and Noah Strand with 1901, Inc., a company who has been a participant of Heat’s On for all 31 years, and Daniel Connery, an army veteran who benefited from the program, joined the Wake Up Wisconsin team to talk about the life-saving program.
Since its inception in 1987, the program has serviced over 2,500 homes.
Christensen says the program is truly saving lives. He says last year they found a veteran from World War II who’d been hospitalized on multiple occasions for carbon monoxide poisoning. While servicing his furnace, they discovered there was a leak which was causing carbon monoxide poisoning. They say they replaced his entire furnace and “saved his life!”
The 31st annual “Heat’s On” event is this Saturday in Madison. It starts at 7 a.m. at Steamfitters Local 601 Training School at 6310 Town Center Drive.
To learn more about the program, click here.