MADISON (WKOW) — More Dane County beaches are closed Tuesday morning due to water quality issues, according to Public Health Madison & Dane County.
As of noon Tuesday, six beaches in the area were listed as closed:
- Maple Bluff Beach Park- Blue-green algae
- Marshall- Blue-green algae
- Spring Harbor- Blue-green algae
- Stewart County Park- Elevated levels of bacteria
- Vilas- Elevated levels of bacteria
- Warner- Blue-green algae
Concerns are mounting following the death of several pets across the country due to blue-green algae.
In Wilmington, North Carolina, three dogs died after playing in a pond. Blue-green algae can cause liver failure if it’s swallowed.
27 News has reported on blue-green algae in the past. It’s most common in the summer and has plagued Madison-area lakes for years.