(WKOW) — Be sure your kids actually are eating candy when it comes to Halloween treats.
Medical professionals say it’s easy for some medicines to be mistaken for candy. Every year about 60,000 kids accidentally eat medicine, thinking it’s candy, and wind up in the emergency room.
The CDC recommends the following steps to keep your family safe:
- Pick a place for your medicine your kids cannot reach.
- Put medicine away every time after you use it.
- Double check the safety cap is on and locked.
- Teach your kids about medication safety.
- Tell your guests about medication safety, especially grandparents.
- In case of emergency, know the number for Poison Control — 1 (800) 222-1222