UPDATE: Patients released from hospital after carbon monoxide leak at Portage facility

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

UPDATE (WKOW) — Divine Savior Hospital says as of 9:00 a.m. Thursday, all 14 people who were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning have been released from the hospital.

********

UPDATE (WKOW) — The Portage Fire Department says a carbon monoxide leak at a Portage facility was a “very dangerous situation.”

Lt. Steve Dehn says when the fire department got to Dawn’s Fresh Foods, there were very high levels of carbon monoxide detected – about 800 parts per million. Normal would be about 4 to 7 parts per million.

“Somebody could have been killed because of this problem,” said Lt. Dehn.

Firefighters say the plant was evacuated and multiple ambulances took people to the hospital. Divine Savior Hospital was first called to Dawn’s Fresh Foods for someone who was not feeling well. The hospital quickly called a Mutual Aid Box Alarm System for multiple ambulances to transport people.

“As soon as we stepped in the door, that’s when our meter pegged out,” he explained as he referred to his firefighters’ carbon monoxide detectors.

Lt. Dehn was not sure how many people became ill.

Representatives from Divine Savior say the hospital took in 14 patients. Two had been discharged by 7 p.m. Wednesday. Twelve remained in the hospital on observation. The hospital says all are in stable condition.

Lt. Dehn says they think a problem with a hot water heater could have caused the leak, but that’s still being determined. He calls it a “very dangerous situation” and says someone could have been killed had it not been for the quick thinking of one person who noticed the problem and got everyone evacuated.

Managers at Dawn’s Fresh Foods told firefighters they hope to back open and running their operation on Thursday, according to Dehn.

********

PORTAGE (WKOW) — First responders are treating patients who were evacuated from a Portage business where a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

A Mutual Aid Box Alarm System was activated for fire and EMS to respond to Dawn’s Fresh Foods on LaDawn Dr. in Portage around 3:15 p.m. Wednesday. The Portage Fire Department tells 27 News a CO alarm was activated. The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office says the building was evacuated and multiple patients are being treated.

Dawn’s Fresh Foods is a manufacturing and distribution facility, according to its website.

This is a developing story. Check back for updated information.

Dani Maxwell

Dani Maxwell

Dani Maxwell is the Content Manager for 27 WKOW.

Top Stories

Madison
24°
Janesville
25°
Portage
Watertown
Milder temps expected through the week before Christmas

Milder temps expected through the week before Christmas

Arctic air has consistently caused below average temps the last two months. Now, Pacific air is moving in allowing milder

Connect With 27 News
More News

Sauk Co. authorities need help identifying robbery suspect

Authorities in Sauk County need your help identifying the man seen pictured in this article.

Capital City Sunday: Sen. Jon Erpenbach & Reporter Roundtable

This week on Capital City Sunday, lawmakers and capitol reporters break down the lame duck session.

UPDATE: Five injured, four by gunshot, during brawl at Madison nightclub

Madison police are investigating a shooting at Visions Nightclub on E Washington Ave.  

‘We had a good conversation’: Evers encourages Walker to veto lame-duck bills

Gov.-elect Tony Evers is optimistic, after he says he spoke with Gov. Scott Walker on the phone regarding the lame-duck

Wisconsin Christmas trees address shortages across the country

Wisconsin farms like Hann's Christmas farm in Oregon are packed from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve as families search for and

Scroll to top
Skip to content