MADISON (WKOW) — A candle is being blamed for an early morning fire where 78 people were evacuated from a fire at 215 N. Frances St. in Madison.
Firefighters were called to The Frances apartments around 2:30 a.m.
Fire and smoke could be seen billowing from a second-story window as crews found smoke banked halfway down to the floor of the apartment.
Flames engulfed the ceiling of the bedroom there.
Investigators determined the fire was caused by a candle that ignited nearby combustibles. The fire is considered accidental.
The occupant suffered minor injuries but did not seek emergency medical care. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the displaced occupant, and UW-Madison is reaching out to any students who reside in the building to assess their needs.
Damage is currently estimated at approximately $50,000.